Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Book Shelf - April 2012

It's been a good long while since I've updated my book shelf around here.  I thought it would be fun to share what we've been reading lately.

This is what I am reading listening to right now:

Under the Dome: A Novel


Under the Dome by Stephen King.  I am just two days into the audiobook, which is TOTAL of 34 hours and 29 minutes!  Good gravy!  That's a lot of story.  But I know, just like with every other King book I've read, when it's over I'll be wishing there was more to read.

Here's what I've read or listened to recently.

11/22/63: A Novel

11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King.  Told you I was a fan.  I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

I have recently gotten into the Harry Potter novels.  These are also books that you don't want to be over when you finish them.  I have made it through Book 4 and am patiently waiting on someone to return the audiobook version of Book 5 to my local library.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of AzkabanHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)

I really love these books and now am a total Potter fan.  I probably like them more than the Twilight series. (Gasp!)  I know.

I also just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

The Night Circus

I have to say that I'm honestly not sure if I really liked this book or not.  I think one problem is that I did listen to the audiobook and I think that hindered me because at the beginning of each chapter the year or date is announced.  One aspect of the storyline is that it spans a number of years and there is magic involved where none of the circus participants age during the story.  This goes on for years and there is some back and forth between years at the beginning of the book. I was never quite sure how many years had passed when I was listening.  If I had been reading the book instead, if I got confused I could always flip back and I didn't have that chance so I think a little of it was lost on me.  The imagery is really wonderful though but I'm not sure I fell in love with it all.

What's on your book shelf that you're reading or have to read?

2 comments:

Fordy said...

Ok - I have to ask:

How was 11/23/63; and how is Under the Dome turning out?
- say if you were ranking Stephen King books, where about would you put them?

Holly said...

I need to finish the Harry Potter series!