Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March Sensory Tub

It's time for March's Sensory Tub reveal. This month's theme is St. Patrick's Day.

Of course you have to go green for St. Paddy's Day but I just didn't have it in me to dye a bunch of rice green. I was kinda burnt out on the rice so I had to come up with something else to use that would allow me to hide the treasures well enough and something that would give a different feeling on Bean's hands when she went searching.

I've seen other sensory tubs done with dried beans so I thought I would look around on that aisle at the grocery store for inspiration.  My first thought was to use some dried white beans until I spied the dried split peas. Ah ha! Perfect.

We bought 4 bags of dried split peas at .89 each = $3.56.


The peas have a completely different feel than rice does. These are smoother. You just want to dig your hands down into them. Hubz said "wow, you should make a pillow or something and use these". Of course then he realized to whom he was speaking and remembered that I am still scared of my brand new sewing machine and said "or not".


I was short on money this month which meant no new treasures from the dollar store for the tub. I had to search around the house for these goodies.

Here are the treasures:

Pennies
Gold glitter chipboard letters that spell out "lucky"
A green plastic slinky from a birthday party favor bag
Some purple glass flowers and green glass stones
A couple of frog erasers (dunno why I added frogs but I did)
A tiny terracotta pot that serves as the pot of gold, and
A little gnome I've had sitting on a desk. He's playing the part of the leprechaun.


Since I used items I already had, the total cost of this month's box was $3.56 for the beans.  



2 comments:

Mrs. M said...

What a great way to celebrate a holiday and let Bean's imagination run wild!

Leanne said...

Very cute. :)