Friday, September 20, 2013

Pin Tested, Pinkie Approved - DIY softener sheet



Looky there!  I made that button thingy.  Yeehaw!

I know, I know.  It's not groundbreaking or perfect or even done right but I still dids it!  Yeehaw again.

This might be a new segment here on Pinkie and The Bean but we'll see.  I hate to commit to anything.  But since I do spend countless hours scanning Pinterest for crap I'd like to attempt to make one day, I figured on the rare occasion that I actually do find myself getting off the couch and making something, I should post it up.  Fair warning though, I am no Pintester!  Miss Sonja has it going on over there on her blog and she is the Queen of testing out pins.  She makes me laugh out loud many, many times.  So if you think you'll see that kind of work here on this blog, you will be wrong.  I am but a mere stealer copier tester wanna-be.

But I have actually recently tried out a pin I found and let me tell you, this is a good one.  Good.  Good. Good.  And 'tres ease-A!  (That's French for "you can do it too".)

This pin is amazeballs.  Yeah, I'm probably too old to be using that phrase but it is stuck in my head and will not self evict.  This is a pin for DIY laundry softener sheet.


Pin Tested, Pinkie Approved.  This idea was shared by Heather at That Crazy Family.  In her post, she talks about "no more dryer sheets" and says this idea caused her to say goodbye to dryer sheets and fabric softeners.  If you visit her page, you will see that some judgey folks posted comments correcting Heather on these statements.  I like to call these people the Internet Literal Dumbass Society or ILDS for short.  You know those type of folks.  The ones that scour the web not really looking for ways to boost others up.  Instead they devise ways to make themselves feel superior to others.  Just read the first few comments and you will see the type of people I am talking about.

"You said the sky was blue.  You are wrong.  It is actually Cerulean.  And now because I've wasted my time by replying to you ONLINE so everyone can see it, I am far superior than you and I deserve all the world's riches!"

Yeah, THOSE people.

Anyhoo.  If you use Heather's method, you can do away with having to buy dryer sheets - if you actually already buy dryer sheets.  You do still need to buy a sheet or rag, towel, cloth diaper, snot rag, something and a bottle of fabric softener.  Or if you have a stack of old towels, diapers, snot rags on hand like I do, you are already ahead of the curve.

You simply pour some fabric softener into a bowl.  (I used a bucket.  Go me!)  Put the fabric of your choosing into the bowl/bucket and make sure the liquid covers the fabric.  Then step away.

For three days.

Yeah, three days.  This isn't one of those speedy cleaning challenges, ummkay.  Then after three days, wring out the fabric softener and hang the fabric up to dry.

You're done. You can take a nap now.

(See.  I told you this was an awesome pin cause there is time for napping built in!)

The next time you dry clothes, just throw the fabric softener-soaked fabric into your dryer.  No more BOXES of dryer sheets.  (Is that good enough for you, Literal Queens???)

Now just to answer some questions you might have like other commenters had on Heather's blog,

1) I used a piece of fabric that is a cross between a cloth diaper and a t-shirt.  It was some work rag my husband had and never used.  That type of fabric has not left any fuzzies on any of our dark clothing.

2) I have had ZERO static cling.

3)  I recently made this sheet so I can't really say how long it will last.  The post says 40-50 loads.  I have used it for about 15-20 loads and so far, it still smells fine and so do the clothes once they are dry.

4) If you have an issue with fabric softener chemicals sitting on your skin all day, you won't be using fabric softener, dryer sheets, or whatnot to begin with, and probably won't even waste your crunchy goodness time reading anything about DIY dryer sheets. If you are a member of ILDS and even though you don't use them, it makes you feel better to let everyone else in the world know you won't be getting cancer from said fabric softener but I will, please feel free to leave one of your heartwarming comments below.  I'll pay about as much attention to it as I do figuring the complex analysis of toe jam quantification.

There you go.  That's my pin testing post for the day.  Even if you aren't a member of the ILDS, please feel free to leave me a comment telling me how funny I am, how much of a great blogger I am, how wonderful my sock monkey looks sitting on my desk.  Anything wonderful will do.  Go on.  You know you want to.

So I can stamp this one Pin Tested - Pinkie Approved!

No comments: