Thursday, October 20, 2011

Conversations with a Bean - Target Practice

I want to share a conversation I recently had with Bean.  I think toddlers can come up with some of the best dialogue ever heard. Hollywood screenwriters have nothing on the ankle-biter set.

As I said yesterday, this past weekend was Hubz' family reunion.  One of the past times at the reunion is skeet shooting. I guess that's what you call it.   I've never seen a skeet so I am guessing that a skeet is the actual round clay targets that get shot up into the air.  If I am incorrect on this, I apologize to any skeet I might have offended by my lack of knowledge on their...well...skeetage.

Anyhoo.

Bean, her cousin Tater, and I were all on the front porch in the swing.  I was praying hoping to try and swing one or both of them off to napland.  This did not happen.

We were swinging - just a swingin' - when Hubz and BIL2 walked by to retrieve Hubz' shotguns (yes, plural) from our car.

SIDEBAR - I love how Hubz put 3 shotguns in the back of my car and never thought to let me know that they were there. You never know when a Thelma and Louise moment might come up or when The Bandit might pull you over on the back roads of Georgia. It might have been nice to get a heads up on the fact that they, along with 300 pounds of ammo, are in your possession and safekeeping.

Bean hopped down from the swing and ran to the porch stairs to watch.  She asked me what they were doing.  I told her that Daddy and Uncle BIL2 were getting the shotguns so they could go shooting.

Bean said matter-of-factly, "Daddy's gonna buy me a pink gun when I get bigger."

Uh huh. Really?  Well this hasn't been given the ever important Mother Seal of Approval yet so we'll see.

Don't get me wrong. I grew up around guns.  My own Daddy had a collection of them and I knew never, ever to touch them. I was allowed to shoot his shotgun once and when I got myself back up off the ground after the recoil, I said "Thanks, Dad" and went back inside to watch some Scooby Doo.

I even had my own BB gun and never once shot my eye out with it.  So I know they are a rite of passage here in the South but I'm not ready to wrap my mind around this kid getting one.

After I uttered my non-committal "uh huh", Bean then asked me "what are they gonna shoot, Mommy?"

I said "targets".

Bean spun around on her heel to look at me and said with the utmost earnestness...

"Not Target! That's my favorite store!"

Not making it up. That's what she said. After I stopped laughing, I explained what targets were and she was happy then to return to the swing.

3 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I always say hello when I see a fellow GA blogger - I live in Marietta - where are you? sandie

Unknown said...

I am glad to see that someone in your family understands the goodness that is Target!

Holly said...

LOL! She's so funny!