Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering is all I can do.

911blogger.com
I'm sure you will or have already read many blog posts or articles on the tenth anniversary of September 11, 2001. I'm sure there is nothing here that I can write that will enlighten anyone or relieve anyone else's sadness over the anniversary.

My friend Holly wrote a nice post about her memories of 9/11 here.

I did not know anyone personally that was affected by the World Trade Center or the Pentagon bombings or the crash of Flight 93. The only connection I had was that a New York firefighter that had been on a reality gameshow that I watched a few years before was one of the 343 firefighters that perished that day.

I spent a lot of last week and all day Sunday watching documentaries on 9/11. I've been asked me why I wanted to dwell on it so much. My only connection was the same connection we all had to that horrible day - we witnessed it.

I watched all of this because I just wanted to remember. I wanted to honor by remembering. That's really all I can do now.

I can't imagine what those families went through. I can't imagine what those firefighters and police officers faced every single day. I can only remember.

And for as long as I am able, I will remember. It's the least I can do.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I watched a lot too. Still have some on my DVR to watch. I wanted to remember and learn more and here stories. I may not have lived it but like you said I witnessed it.