Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sign O'the Times

Sorry for my lack of participation on my own blog, but Pinkie has been busy at the day job.  (Don't you love it when people refer to themselves in the third person.)

At the day job, our receptionist is moving off to sandier pastures so we are on the search for a new "go-to gal".  Last week, I placed an ad for the position on Craigslist.  Within 15 minutes of posting the ad, I had already received 20 applications.  We had to take the ad down less than 24 hours later due to the huge response we received.  In less than 24 hours we received over 350 resumes.  The ad didn't come down right away so the total number of resumes we have received is 750!

That is crazy!  It's crazy and it's very sad.  We received resumes from attorneys, pre-med candidates, people with bachelors and masters degrees.  Anyone and everyone needs a job nowadays.  It's heartbreaking to read some of these resumes.  I wish I could give everyone of them a job.



We have started the weeding-out process and I am so depressed from it already.  It's just a sad, scary, unbelievable sign of these times we are living in.  I pray that it gets better for all of us and I am thankful that I have a job myself.

*Image courtesy of UPI/THE BETTMANN ARCHIVE. MSN Encarta.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Wow, so many people just for that job! Similar to my work. We have an opening for a front desk position and people who have these fancy degrees were applying b/c there's no jobs.